~seizure FREE me~

~seizure FREE me~

Monday, May 3, 2010

Do our eyes play tricks, or can it be true?

Wow the modified Atkins diet is already making a difference! He's talking. In fact he's now driving me crazy with his constant repetitive "mom, mom, mom" All. Day. Long. Then when I answer him he just stares at me, fun. Then the whole thing starts all over again...I guess you'd have to be here to understand the sheer annoyance of it all, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. To be annoyed by him again, ahhhhh absolute bliss. ;) He's walking around too! Of course now that means he's falling more because he's still having drop seizures, but he looks so happy with his re found freedom. He's playing a little bit with his brothers and they are all adjusting to that. I am so pleased. I hope that we don't have to do the ketogenic diet after all, because it would be so much easier to stay with the Atkins diet. If it continues to make him better. He's far from base line and still having more then 20 seizures a day, so many that it's hard to keep an accurate count, so we have a long ways to go. I've read that drop attacks are one of the hardest to control. Progress is good though, real good. It does appear that he is having a reaction to the dairy, so I have to keep a close eye on that. It would be hard to do either of the diets with out dairy. He is suppose to eat a lot of heavy whipping cream and butter. He's not very fond of the whipping cream, but so far he loves the butter, cubes of butter, did you puke a little in your mouth? Yeah... I think one of the hardest parts of this diet is making it work for the whole family. Making meals that are not the same that still look the same. Giving Atty extra snacks and food that the other boys can't have that look like treats. Especially because in our effort to entice Atty we are calling them things like Candies and Treats and Ice cream. He hasn't been interested in food in general and he has to eat the high fat portion to make this diet work. He did eat a full avocado yesterday though, that was awesome. Every time I figure out something that he likes that works for his diet I get so excited. One of the worse parts of the diet is the sheer amount of time I spend in the kitchen now. I already spent way to much time in there, now I feel like I should just place a cot in there and camp out. Also Atty still can't feed himself very well, or doesn't want to try the food and so it takes a LONG time to finish meals. I really have to fight my irritation at that. My husband and I can hardly believe our eyes though, it's truly amazing the results we are seeing so far. I hope and pray that things continue to improve. Pray in the morning. Pray mid day. Pray at night. Wake up in the wee hours of the morning and Pray some more.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Wow! That is amazing that you can already see results. I read that it can take up to months to see any results, so that is REALLY awesome! Progress! Woohoo!
Continued prayers!